One great way to memorize the Bible faster is to improve your memorization techniques. In this video, Ronald Johnson and I shares some ADVANCED memory palace techniques that will help you memorize longer Scriptures more efficiently.
Follow along with all the Bible Memory Goal YouTube videos!
For those who may be unfamiliar with this technique, you may want to start with this introduction to memory palaces for Scripture. Meanwhile, these are the 6 ADVANCED Memory Palace Techniques that Ronald and I discussed in the video above:
- Creating Unique Memory Palaces: Be a palace collector! Make use of both physical and virtual palaces. Take note of every place you have been to, and if possible, take pictures so you can remember it.
- Dividing Your Memory Palace: You can personalize the way you divide your memory palace. Personally, I use the combination of number-picture association. I have separate locations for every verse and have particular images that coincides with the number of the verse (I use The Major System for numbers in the Bible). Meanwhile, Ronald’s technique doesn’t require an individual place for every single verse. But he uses more memory palace locations.
- Creating Start & Ending Points: I always place my starting point in the area where I normally enter. And as much as possible, I also place the ending point near the area where I enter. For Ronald, instead of starting at a door, he prefers to end at one. According to him, this serves as his common exit that helps him navigate through the memory palace.
- Connecting Your Memory Palaces: The ability to connect various memory palaces is important when you start memorizing longer books of the Bible. For Ronald, he likes to think of it as townhouses, like a series of houses that he navigates through. How does he know which palace to enter next? He uses the link method to connect the different palaces. Kind of like a memory palace within a memory palace.
- Using Efficient Image Placement: Don’t be afraid to break up longer verses. Instead of creating an elaborate story, use fewer images as possible.
- Experiment: Find and discover what works best for you. Maybe memory palace does not work for you? Be open to other memorization techniques until you unlock the method that’s most suitable for you.
I hope these 6 ADVANCED memory palace techniques have eased your worry of memorizing longer Scriptures. And if you’d like, you can see this technique in action by joining me to memorize Psalm 46 using a memory palace.